Thursday, March 8, 2012

I should read books with happier titles

I finally finished Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut! Overall, I enjoyed it, but it took me a lot longer to read than I thought it would. That's not so much a fault of the book as it is of me, but it was a quick read that offered a lot of opportunities to pause and take breaks, so that's what I ended up doing. I checked out Breakfast of Champions from the library the other day, so we'll see if that turns me into a true Vonnegut fan.

The next book on my list is rather fitting to current events.

The Amazon.com review says
The Nobel prize-winning Albert Camus, who died in 1960, could not have known how grimly current his existentialist novel of epidemic and death would remain. Set in Algeria, in northern Africa, The Plague is a powerful study of human life and its meaning in the face of a deadly virus that sweeps dispassionately through the city, taking a vast percentage of the population with it.
That makes me excited but also terrified to read it. The norovirus is spreading in my city, and so naturally I've made the connection that what happens in this book is going to happen in my area. Now I know a stomach bug that a few people have is nothing compared to a widespread plague, but I am quick to jump to worst-case scenarios, so in my mind this will be my town soon.

Anything good on your reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment