Monday, December 19, 2011

Adventures in Screen Printing

This weekend I decided to try to learn a new skill. I went out and bought myself a screen printing kit for 50% off (thanks, Michaels daily deals) and mulled over what I wanted to print. My boyfriend and I both enjoy Parks and Recreation, so I figured I would try to make him a Ron Swanson silhouette shirt.

I got the shirt from H&M and will probably get all of my screen printing shirts from there. They're only $5, come in a variety of colors and necklines, and are ridiculously soft. The kit I purchased was a Speedball® Basic Screen Printing Kit for Stencil Screen Printing. I chose this kit because it had everything I needed in it and all the other kits were sold out.
To be honest, the instructions that came with the kit were a little confusing, which made me hesitant and that's probably why it didn't come out exactly the way that I wanted it to. The paper prints were my first attempts and the shirt was the last. You can't tell in this photo, but the right side of the shirt is a little fuzzy, so I had to fill it in by hand.

At least I know what I'm supposed to do now and still have the stencil, so I can re do it after I get more shirts. Not bad for a first try, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment