Monday, February 28, 2011

Finding Your Passion


The Zen Habits Short but Powerful Guide to Finding Your Passion by Leo Babauta is a 10-step guide to figuring out what your passion is and pursuing it. Since I am approaching graduation with no clear idea of what I want to do, I decided to give the guide a shot. One thing I do know about myself is that I want to be my own boss. I’ve been interested in entrepreneurship for quite a while but haven’t devoted a considerable amount of time to it since I was in high school. 
The Zen Habits guide requires you to answer a few seemingly easy questions about your interests and dreams, and then to use the various lists to come up with a concrete career idea that you can research and decide if it’s something you want to pursue. My biggest interests are cats, social media, sustainability, music, and the Internet. I have valuable skills, but I’m just not sure how to combine them with my interests or where to start to make them profitable.  I haven’t started researching any of the dream careers yet, because I want to go back through my lists and see if I can add anything else or create a career by combining two or more interests.
My biggest regret is not devoting more time to this earlier. With graduation fast approaching, it doesn’t seem like I have time to really see what my options are. Instead, I have to take any job I can get, because I need to be able to support myself and pay off those college loans six months after I leave school. I just have to remember that I do have time and if I could create a career that I loved and that paid well, I wouldn’t have to feel miserable in a job that I took because I thought I had to.
I’ll be sure to post a list of the careers I come up with on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment